With 2012 ending in only a few more days, there are many people who are considering their own personal New Year’s resolutions. You might need to be thinking about your resolutions for your internet marketing business, too, because there are definitely some changes that are going to be necessary if you want to keep your good search engine ranking, or better yet, improve your ranking in the SERPs.
Here are 5 things that you should be thinking about, areas that you could probably improve if your site needs some attention:
1. Stronger social media presence: As the internet continues to evolve, consumers are leaning more toward doing their product research in the social media networks. They want to know what their friends are spending money on. When times are tight, and for some in this economy they definitely are, consumers want to know that they are spending their money in the best place, for the best products. Make sure your presence in the social media networks is strong enough to compete.
2. Local SEO techniques: Local search is becoming more important than even. Using the various local search tools, like developing your Google Places page and other local spots, you can lure those customers who prefer to shop closer to home. Have clear and complete listings, and you will find that this helps your SEO plan. Add accurate maps and links for directions, to lead visitors to your physical location, if you have one.
3. Full on-page optimization: Your on-page search engine optimization could probably use a little attention in the new year. Make sure that your titles, tags and descriptions are all up to snuff, allowing the search engines to properly index your pages. Links should all be examined to ensure that they are working properly and still linking to where you intended.
4. Mobile apps: Sites that do not have mobile apps are going to find that they have more and more problems, and potentially lose traffic with a stronger than ever push toward smart phones and mobile devices. If your site does not work properly, you will be passed over. Online marketing companies usually offer special mobile app development packages, allowing you to have an app that will be accessed by your customers and help them interact with your company more.
5. Semantic markup: By using certain HTML codes, you can help the search engines know what is on your site. You can add information about the data on your pages, by incorporating codes that only the search engines can read. This can lead to more accurate indexing.
The new year is a time to renew and refresh not only your personal life, but your business life as well. By making sure that you are using the best practices for your SEO, you can brush up your site and make it easier for the search engines to rank and easier for your visitors to find and use. Make these five things a priority for your site in the new year.