If you have been involved with internet marketing for any length of time, you certainly realize that it is necessary to get your site ranked in order to get the traffic that you need to get the customers and conversions that are going to lead to profits. Day after day, week after week, you are working on your SEO plan and trying to scramble your way to the top of the SERPs. Advertising your website in the search engines is free, but can be very time consuming. You already know that cutting corners does not really help, and you may need the assistance of a digital marketing firm if you want to see real changes in a shorter period of time.
The one fundamental change that you should be making to your SEO plan for the new year is adding or updating your meta descriptions. This tends to be one of the most commonly overlooked SEO techniques when it comes to internet marketing.
Here are five tips that you can use to develop or improve your meta descriptions and get more traffic to your page:
1. Keywords: Google likes it when you use your keywords in your meta descriptions. The meta descriptions essentially highlight the keywords, almost like putting them in lights for the search engines to find. This will lead to a higher ranking in the SERPs.
2. Originality: Choose unique meta descriptions for each page. Repeating the same description over and over can actually hurt your SEO plan, so make sure that you take the time to compose something slightly different for each one.
3. Action Words: In your meta description, you want to include information about how the customer will benefit from a visit to your site. For example, “Learn how…” or “Find out about…” or “Get information about…” will all compel a visitor to click on your site to gain those benefits.
4. Proper Length: Google prefers that a meta description be 160 characters or less, including spaces and punctuation. This is a short amount of space that you can jam pack with your keywords and call to action. Be creative, and get as much as you can into this small space. This is what the users will see underneath your listing in the SERPs, so entice them as best you can.
5. Competition: Use your meta description to tell customers how your company stands out from the competition. “Lowest prices on gluten free foods!” or “Fastest weight loss program available!” are examples of how you can use your meta description for advertising in the SERPs.
Because the meta description is one of the most overlooked pieces of an SEO plan, you have a shot at getting ahead of others in your niche, or others competing for ranking with the same keywords. If you are looking for a perfect New Year’s Resolution for your SEO plan, then take a good hard look at your meta descriptions and see if you can make any changes that can help you get a higher ranking in the SERPs.